3.02.2009

Sleep???

Last night Willie woke up at 12, 2:30, 4:30, and 5:40~ then Jeff put him in bed with me and was off to work. He woke up at least one other time- but those are the times I nursed him. Yes, this is pretty typical. I know, I know! He's over 6 months old what on earth are we doing nursing so often at night? I wish I had an answer for that. First off- he hates his bed. He does not want to be left all alone in there, he wants to be held. The mobile was helping, but then it's battery died, I don't have more at this moment. He won't take a pacifier- no matter how hard I've tried he just will NOT take one, he hates them. He's teething- evidenced by the tons of drool, general fussiness, chewing really hard on everything. So he wakes up in the night not feeling well and wanting to suck on something. I gave him teething tabs and rocked him once but then he woke up again 20 minutes later- so I nursed him so I could get an hour or two. The experts say the key is getting them to fall asleep on their own at bedtime- I agree. I just haven't found a way to do it. I'm not going to make him cry all alone for hours on end- that just seems completely inappropriate to do to any child of any age. Modified cry it out methods don't seem to work for him either. He just wants to be in my arms to fall asleep. Jeff's will do to. Even then he has to cry about it for a few minutes. Cosleeping sometimes feels like the only way, but I don't sleep as well, and I can't help but wonder how much I disturb his sleep when tyring to soothe him to keep him from waking all the way up. And Jeff and I really like having our bed to ourselves. In related news- He has one of his teeth. And I have what appears to be a small bite mark on one side. Nursing on that side is really awful right now, I hope it heals soon.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Another relative of mine shared her trick for getting her snuggly little girl to sleep by herself. She would take off the shirt that she was wearing and let her little girl take it to bed. The smell of her Mom was enough to calm her down and she'd sleep by herself. I don't know how effective that trick is for everyone, but it's worth a try!

mandy said...

I am so sorry. that does not sound like fun, on all accounts!

Anna said...

I've done the shirt thing when he was brand new, it's worth a try now too. No it's not really fun, but this first year blows by so fast that I know I'll get through it, lol.

Kate said...

It is so hard to get them used to sleeping all night and it would be nice if everyone could actually sleep too. Good luck, it is quite the trick.