4.23.2010

Community Theater

Last night we got to take the kids to a small-town community theater production of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. It was my first experience with community theater. I've been to high school productions, plenty at Tuacahn, and a production of Princess and the Pea done by kids. I've enjoyed all of them. And I now have a new love for community theater. The acting was alright, the stars of the show did a good job, but some of the ensemble didn't look to comfortable on stage. The stage was small. Very small. The sets had to be simple. There were very few special effects, certainly none that were dazzling. By no means was it a Broadway production, and it even ran much simpler than the high school plays I've been to.

But that didn't make it a less enjoyable experience. First off, it was affordable. For less than the price of ONE normal ticket to a Shakespearean Festival or Tuacahn production, the whole family got to go. Goodness, it was cheaper than a movie! But more importantly it showed off what people with a desire can do when they put their minds to it. The set was fairly simple yes, a few trees moved on and off stage, one 2-sided building, and a couple different pieces of furniture made up most of it. But the costumes were so fun! Using simple things that are readily available- fabric, plywood, some craft supplies, they created the medley of living objects at the palace. And the character of the humans was magnified by their costumes too, I think Le Fou's was my favorite. The show has been shown to a full house every night, and only ran for a week. Obviously, it was popular. But what I really found impressive, is that the people doing this aren't paid. They do it for the fun of it, the passion. It gives anyone in the community who might be interested a chance to be part of a play. If you aren't super talented yet, no big deal, come participate in this, become more experienced, gain confidence, have fun, improve!

It's a little bit of a drive for us, but this experience was such fun that I'm sure we'll be back. I don't think the larger town I'm living in has a community theater, as they have many theater options on the higher end, and I don't know if we could rouse the volunteers to do it time after time. Such a shame, I could be mistaken of course. We do have a place that it could be done, and if I ever hear of an honest-to-goodness community theater around here, I'll see what I can do to participate. Do you have one near you? Have you ever been directly involved in the production of a play, musical or otherwise? I haven't, but someday I think I will...

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Does the stake road show count? I sang and danced in that. Oh wait, they'll let ANYONE into that. ;)

I'm pretty sure my acting skills are hiding wherever my artistic/crafty skills are hiding. Very, very deeply hidden...

Anna said...

Well I did help backstage with a roadshow, but I don't think it counts because you can totally wing it, there isn't really any script. Family talent shows aren't counting for me either. Lots of people help with theater from backstage, that counts.

Mother in Zion said...

I was in a few plays growing up...the mother in a revolutionary war play, "evil Alice acid" in a play about oral hygiene (wore metallic green boots, hat and cape. Yes, cape.), and Lady MacDuff in our high school's production of Macbeth, as well as stagehanded "God's Favorite," "Into the Woods," and "Death of a Salesman." My father in law was one of the leads in a community theater production of "Arsenic and Old Lace" which I think is about the coolest thing ever. LOVE LOVE LOVE theater--attending, acting, stagehanding. I'm not a great actress, but it's fun to ham. I will totally join your community theater, Anna! What play would we do? I nominate"You can't take it with you" or "God's Favorite."

Kristy said...

Where was it? I like community theatre a lot. That is one thing that makes me sad about living in Cedar. There is so much art stuff here, it doesn't seem like they'll ever be room for community theatre...

Anna said...

Sammy- Aunt Sue got me hooked on Arsenic and Old Lace, I'd loved to have seen him in it! I'm a sucker for musicals myself, but have no spectacular talent for it. I'd have to take recommendations for anything other than Shakespeare.

Kristy, glad I'm not the only one who gets that impression from our town. It was at Parowan's Aladdin Theater. So not too far. Almost a home-town community theater for us. In fact, if we were willing to drive I'm sure they'd even let us participate.

Audrey said...

That is the biggest complaint that I have in this town, if you want to be involved in theater you have to pay to do Playmakers through the Shakespeare Festival! I was actually talking to someone the other day about the lack of real community theater in this town, I think that it would be a great option in the off season when Shakespeare and Niel Simon aren't running. In fact I am thinking of looking into getting together with others who feel the same and have worked in theater as well to see if there is any way to get something going...
I did a lot of theater in high school, even placed in state competition.

Anna said...

Audrey- it looks like Kristy and I would be interested! Playmakers is great, but not only is it costly, it's just for kids.

Lara Neves said...

I think it's so wonderful that you did this!

I love theater.