4.04.2010

A Special Day

This last Wednesday started Spring Break for us. Our first official-have-a-kid-get-out-of-school Spring Break. We started it off on a very special note. I, as Mom, really needed it. I hope the kids benefited too. Abby had two days of school this last week, and they were hectic. Monday was a field trip, she was overwhelmed, and Harvey had to go see the orthopedist about his arm. Tuesday was her class party, and we filled eggs for her to take, then she came home with lots of treats. My mom wanted to know what I was planning for Easter Sunday, and I really hadn't figured it out yet. I did realize that if I wanted to go use my coupons for diapers at Costco I needed to do it Wednesday so we could decorate eggs and get ready for a busy Saturday ahead of time. So Wednesday morning, off we went.

Our errands in St. George did not take the time I had thought they would, and I wasn't ready to go home yet. After visiting Auntie Annie in the care center (in which the kids actually had a good time) I decided a trip to the Temple grounds was our best choice. It really was. The kids fell in love with the beautiful flowers, bending down to smell them, stroking the soft petals of the pansies. Seeing a toddler bend and 'sniff' at a flower could just melt any body's heart. It certainly brought a smile to my face. We walked around outside for a while, then went into the visitor's center. They had a lovely display of art by Del Parson illustrating Christ's life for Easter. And they has video clips that the kids could choose to watch. But their favorite part was the map/replica of Jerusalem during the time of Christ. Abby pushed the buttons and absolutely loved seeing and hearing about where special things happened. I did too. Then we tried to listen to the Christus, but Willie fell off a bench and bumped his head. The sister missionary gave both of the kids a pass-along card with picture of Jesus leaving the tomb. Abby got extra for her cousins, but we forgot to take them to the party.

After leaving the Temple I took the kids to the Washington Cemetery. Maybe that sounds creepy. But all of our dearly departed happen to be there, and the kids never have been. Besides, Abby asked what those rocks were when we drove by the St. George cemetery. We used it as a family history trip. Abby got to identify the names of people she knew, and realized that Willard is indeed named for his Grandpas- it's the very same! We found my Grandpa and Grandma Langford's headstone, and identified my mom's name (mine and Abby's middle name) on the back. Then we found Jeff's dad's stone, and found that Willie was named for him, and Jeff's name on the back. Lastly we found Great-Grandpa Pectol's, and found the name Willard Pectol again! Then it was time to go. We got home in time for dinner and to get ready for bed. It was a busy day, but a very enriching one.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Sounds like a nice trip to the cemetery. I actually really like cemeteries. For me, the trips were always pleasant, even when someone was being buried. It always felt peaceful and we were surrounded by family. I think your kids will probably feel that way about them too. What a great way to teach them about our ancestors.