Well, during lunch I kept thinking that it was possible, however unlikely, that a fall like that could break something. So when crawling, a high five, and shaking hands all resulted in exclamations of pain, I took off his shirt. Eww that looked weird. Kind of squishy right at his shoulder, with some swelling just below it Maybe he dislocated his shoulder. And Insta-care visit was certainly in order. I gave him some motrin (because OW) and sent him with Jeff. Because I knew they wouldn't let me stay with him for the x-rays. A few hours later he arrived home with a sling and an ace bandage.
The report? Insta-care Doctor is very disturbed by the x-ray. There is a bulge in the bone just below the shoulder indicating a green-stick fracture, possibly multiple hairline fractures of the shoulder!! She can't properly do anything about it, so we need to immobilize for now. Call the Orthopaedic specialist first thing Monday, and get him checked out. So that's what we've done for now. Fortunately, Harvey seems minimally bothered by his arm. Good sign I hope. Our home teacher came over tonight to assist in a blessing that Harvey will heal completely, and the doctor will be able to help him do that best.
So tomorrow, I will be on pins and needles until we know what we need to know. I do kind of wish we were close to Primary Children's. A pediatric bone specialist would be good. We're supposed to keep Harvey from falling. That is definitely the hardest part right now, he's as bouncy and energetic as ever. Running all over and crashing into plenty of things. Well, we are doing our best. He may need a cast just for extra protection, but a shoulder cast involves most of the upper body. He may need surgery. I really hope not, but I'm sure it will all be fine in the end. I will definitely be posting again when we know more.



2 comments:
Scary! Definitely keep us posted. I hope he's okay!
Oh dear! Get better Harvey!
Post a Comment