9.02.2009

A New Phase In Our Lives

Abby just started Kindergarten. Her first day of school was just yesterday. For months, a full year even, I've been looking forward to this for her. She is a bright and social little girl, and I didn't feel I was fully meeting her needs at home. With no children her age on our street she craves someone- a GIRL- to play with. Despite taking all the Early Childhood Ed classes I did, I'm not a good teacher at home. Home-schoolers have my highest respect. Harvey spends much of his day being railroaded by his strong willed sister. For all these reasons and more, we were looking forward to school. And then came the day. I couldn't believe it, my baby in school. I had to put some effort into not crying when I would think about it. But off she went, and she loved it. She 'sang her song' (recited a poem) for me that night. All about Inch the Worm and the things he ate. Very funny, Harvey has adopted it now too. Up until now, our lives have been fairly unstructured. That is definitely changing now. Just having Abby in school will be forcing a routine upon us, and while I was worried I now look forward to it. Yesterday was kind of a bad day for it- I was a minute late dropping her off and picking her up because I lost track of time, and Willie was asleep. Now we will have to have a regular nap time, that ends in time to pick her up. Regular lunch hour- that allows her to get there on time. And mom is going to have to stop sitting at the computer all day. I confess her entire first day of school blew by while Willie napped, Harvey played, and I surfed the net. NO MORE. My first project is to get the house dejunked and decluttered for a yard sale. I need to make more space so that Abby can have Willie's room and the boys can share. Currently Willie shares with clutter. I'm not sure what I'll do after that, but I hope to incorporate projects for Harvey, and some true home-making. Hanging up pictures will be a good place to start. We needed a schedule, and now I have a good starting point. In fact, it's time for me to go get her RIGHT NOW. See you all later- bye for now

3 comments:

Lara Neves said...

I love how having the kids in school forces a routine on me.

Can't wait to hear how Abby does in Kindergarten! Bet she loves it!

Audrey said...

I need to find a schedule too, or school is going to get away from me!

Kate said...

It is so nice when school starts again and everyone has a schedule. I bet she just loves school. Congrats on your first school ager.