4.26.2009

Procrastination, or Paved with Good Intentions

The story of my life. Quite seriously. I am a procrastinator. In fact, this was the post I meant to put up last week. Yeah. But better late than never. I completely FORGOT to memorize D&C 4 that first week. We got to class and the returned missionaries started jumping up and reciting it and I was just kicking myself. But one of the other class members had high-councilman duties during class and wanted a chance too, so Brother Elliott gave us another week. Aren't I lucky? I still put off memorizing it, intending to do so in the car on the way to/from Provo this last weekend. Yeah, right. Fortunately I was able to study it some while sitting in the chapel waiting at the Temple. I memorized the last half during Sacrament Meeting today while I sat in another room with Willie. I did recite it word for word during Sunday School. The price of my procrastination was a heart that I thought was literally going to race right out of my chest. Something I've heard about but never experienced before. I wasn't sure I had it memorized, and was so nervous. I didn't pass out, I did completely freeze a few times, but I also passed it off. I think I get that plane ride. Jeff just informed me that the teacher wanted to talk to me, but I had been unavailable.

I also put off until the last minute the organization of some file folder games that my Relief Society was doing for a Humanitarian project. This particular project was started last AUGUST. Yes, they have been sitting around colored, waiting for the next step for 8 months. My excuse is that I did not know what to do with them because I wasn't around when they were started- having just had my baby. But the honest truth is I hadn't even LOOKED at them in that time. So I had no idea what they needed. And our good President has followed up on me, and put them on the schedule for Thursday, April 23rd. So on Monday Caralee called to see if I need help, I confessed I had no idea. Tuesday I finally pulled them out and checked. I counted out pieces to make sure all the games were complete, then that evening I went and bought the files, scissors, and glue sticks so that they could be assembled. Then since we were leaving town on Thursday, I did deliver them to Caralee before the scheduled activity. They've turned out very nicely. Now I just need to figure out how to laminate an envelope for pieces to it. Once it's laminated how does it open?? If one of you knows, and can share that would be great.

Let me see, what other great procrastinations are recent enough to be worth confessing? Irene's bridal shower is rapidly moving up that list. The invitations are out, except for 2 I need to find addresses for. I did forget to take the extra invitations to my mother so she could give them to a few neighbors. She's in Germany now so that is not happening. On the other hand, I actually DID order all the kids clothes for Shelly's wedding. 4 little dresses, and 4 little knicker suits for all the nieces and nephews. More on that later, I promise. I did procrastinate cleaning up our picnic on Friday and ended up being late for Irene's convocation. But that also worked out nicely because my family sat with Mike, Melissa, and Aidyn in an adjoining area in extremely comfortable chairs, we could hear fine, Harvey stretched out on the floor and fell asleep, Abby ran around, and the baby's babbled and played. It was great. It seems that somehow my procrastinations have been working out just fine lately. But I bettered not push my luck. I really do have good intentions to do these things- but we all know where that road leads. Anna Flambe, yummy.

2 comments:

Lara Neves said...

I hear you. I am the world's best procrastinator. Really. Probably way better than you! But congrats on passing off the scripture and getting a plane ride. That will be so cool!

As for the file folders, just laminate them flat and they will fold just fine. I've done it that way lots of times.

Kate said...

I too procrastinate some things. There are other things that I just can't make myself procrastinate but there are so many that I just can't find time for. Great post.